Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Spotlighting Jamie

Share
I can't believe the month is half way over!  With the month half way over it is about time that I introduce you to one of our wonderful guests for the month.  Sit back and enjoy getting to know...

Jamie 
{aka jamieh}

My name is Jamie.  I am a wife of 4 years, mother of a two year old boy and expecting a girl on 1-11-11 (hoping for that exact date!).  I teach PE in elementary school part time.  I grew up in Utah, went to BYU, served a mission in Japan and graduated in Elementary Ed.   Currently, we live with my parents as my husband is looking for work (he just graduated with an MBA- marketing emphasis).   I like to be active, learn new things to cook, read, blog, plan fun activities, and of course scrapbook. 

  1. How long have you been scrapping?  Have you ever paper scrapped?  When did you make the switch to digi and why?  I started scrapping with paper in high school, mostly just putting pictures on paper and journaling a bit.  The cost of making cute pages was frustrating to me.  Plus, the fact that I can't even cut a straight line meant that I was usually disappointed with my layouts in general.  In 2009, I heard about digi scrapping from a friend/designer in the MBA wives club and she taught us how to scrap for an evening.  I learned enough about photo shop to get started and she was there to answer my questions about uploading to the galleries.   
  2. What do you feel is your strongest scrapping skill?  Your weakest?  I'm not sure I would say I am strong in anything, but I love to do the challenges (thus making alot of my layouts very different).    My weakest is that I still don't feel creative on my own.  I usually like to use a template or lift someone to get me started.  Sitting down with pictures and a kit is overwhelming to me.  
  3. What advice would you give someone just starting out digi-scrapping? Don't get overwhelmed. Start with completing a few pages (and be ok with being all the way 'done' with them).  Little by little you will learn new tricks and skills and each page will get better. 
  4. Describe your scrapping "system"... What program do you use?  Where do you start first - photos, papers, elements, journaling?  Do you always have something in mind when you start, or do you let your creativity guide you?  How long does it take you to complete a layout?  I scrap on a desktop while my hubby is on his laptop doing something.  I use PSE5 (time for an upgrade, I know!)  I usually like to start with pics first to get the theme of the page (I still want the pictures to be the main focus).  I like to stick to a template (with a few minor changes) and don't usually let my creativity guide, but I LOVE if it does!  One layout is at LEAST an hour.
  5. On average, how much time do you spend scrapping each week?  Lately, only 4-5 hours.  I got burned out with QOS in May and it is taking me a REALLY long time to get back into the swing of things.
  6. Describe your perfect scrapping environment - coffee? soda?  music?  snacks?  I don't need much of anything, just a cup of water.  I like to focus and get distracted easily, so I sit down with the pure intent of scrapping. 
  7. What's your favorite thing to do BESIDES scrapping? Before I was pregnant I loved to workout.  Now I love to being with my two year old and my hubby.  I enjoy blogging, reading, planning fun events with friends or family and being involved in church activities. 
  8. What is one thing you would love to do, just so you could scrap it?  This is awful, but the 2 teams I CT for did a collab called bumps and bruises and I have yet to have an injury or for my son to have an injury worthy of a picture.  I have kept the kit for weeks thinking surely I'll come up with some picture to use . . . or even a story to journal, but so far . . . nothing!  I should be grateful!
  9. Who inspires you in the scrapping community?  Any person or site in particular that you look to for inspiration?  Amber is incredible.  I can't believe how quickly she comes up with new kits and products.  I have been struggling to keep up with her and all I am doing is a few layouts!  She seems incredible.  I also love to peruse the galleries to get ideas and inspiration.  Scrap Matters is my number one site of choice. 
  10. If you could have Amber create a kit just for you, what colors, theme, etc would it be and why?  I like bright colors and kids things.  My two year old is bright and happy and I love to portray him that way.  Although I really need to get some kits that are more GIRLY since we are having a girl in January.  So far I loves blues, greens and oranges, but need to branch out to pinks and purples :)

    Since first seeing Jamie's layouts during the Queen of Scrap contest I have been enthralled with her simple yet elegant layouts.  Take a peek at some of her layouts!

    First Layout
    This is my first layout done with my neighbor. She knew a lot about photoshop and I knew a little about scrapbooking and together we created this page.

    Favorite Layouts
    I really like this layout, mostly because I love the picture. I also scraplifted to create this, but of course, had to have bright colors in it.

    This is one of my favorite layouts. I love the bright colors with the black and white picture showing my boy's delighted face.

    Most Recent Layout
    My most recent layout, with Amber's most recent kit.

    Layout Using Stolen Moments Products

    Thanks for sharing with us Jaime!  Check out Jaime's GALLERY to see more of her work.