Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Spotlighting Kim R

Share
We have some awesome guests this month here at Stolen Moments.  Lets get to know one of them shall we?

Kim R

I am 31 and I have been married to my best friend for 9 years. I get to stay home with my two sweet little girls, 4 ½, and 15 months. We live in Utah close to most of our families. My hobbies are scrapbooking (is there really anything else?) and photography (with my new DSLR). I also love music, blogging, baking, and going on vacations!  

  1. How long have you been scrapping?  FOREVER! My grandma would give me these books with cardstock pages for me to fill with memories when I was in middle school and high school. I kept odd things like movie stubs, playbills from shows and show choir competitions, the wrapper to my first Cookies and Cream Hershey’s bar when they first came out (I know LAME). Have you ever paper scrapped?  Absolutely! I have an album of our dating years and before kiddos. When did you make the switch to digi and why? I switched to digi Oct 2009. My friend kept blogging her wonderful creations and so one day I had her show me on her laptop. I ordered some “show me how” magazines, downloaded Photoshop and the rest is history!
  2. What do you feel is your strongest scrapping skill? Good question. Well, I know what I like and I stick to that. I like making the page feel real, I love using a lot of elements, and I LOVE white space!  Your weakest? I’d say I have a few. My major weakness is the composition. I struggle so much unless I am using a template or playing with the Grand Theft Layout.
  3. What advice would you give someone just starting out digi-scrapping? Have fun with it! There’s so much to learn, don’t feel overwhelmed. There are great tutorials all over the place. Also, ask around, there are forums and people are so willing to share their knowledge!
  4. Describe your scrapping "system"... What program do you use? CS5 Where do you start first - photos, papers, elements, journaling?  I usually start with the photos. Then I search for the perfect kit to go with it (them). As I am working I usually try to come up with a title…I feel like I’m actually getting better in this department too! Do you always have something in mind when you start, or do you let your creativity guide you?  Yes, I usually have an idea and go from there. But not always!. How long does it take you to complete a layout? Depends. Usually an hour or two. But sometimes it can be a little longer if I am trying to learn a new technique or if I can’t decide which embellishment to use.
  5. On average, how much time do you spend scrapping each week? Around ten or so. I play while my oldest is at school and my baby is napping.
  6. Describe your perfect scrapping environment - coffee? soda?  music?  snacks? I don’t keep food or drinks near the computers. I don’t want to spill on it or get things sticky and dirty. Sometimes I listen to music or have the TV on in the background but I’m usually more focused on the computer rather than what’s going on around me.
  7. What's your favorite thing to do BESIDES scrapping? I recently got a digital SLR camera so I am learning how to use it. I am currently taking an online photography class so it is also keeping me busy.
  8. What is one thing you would love to do, just so you could scrap it? WOW!! Options! I would really love to go to Hawaii and Europe. It would be fun to go to Disneyland too (confession: I’ve never been there-but I did go to Disney World in High School for a show choir competition…we won).
  9. Who inspires you in the scrapping community? Any person or site in particular that you look to for inspiration? I love Scrap Matters. They have the greatest challenges. I can always look there for inspiration. Or I’ll make my way into the gallery for a peek. I do have a few favorites and sometimes I look at more. I love to look at Tiff, the one that got me started in the first place, as well as hoo-rah, lacidock, and keyr.
  10. If you could have Amber create a kit just for you, what colors, theme, etc would it be and why? Hmm, good question. Well, I have two girls so I wouldn’t want an all boy kit. Maybe something to do with dance, or dress ups? My oldest loves to bake and help out so maybe something along those lines. OH!, with Halloween coming up, a great Halloween kit, but nothing gory, I have little ones that dress up as lady bugs, fairy’s, and chickens. This year they are going to be Dorothy and Glenda from the Wizard of Oz!
 
 I love Kim's style of layouts; her paper-esque layouts are my favorite! Take a gander at some of her lovely layouts!

First Layout
This is the first digi layout that I ever did! It was fun working in Photoshop trying different techniques. The selective coloring was EASY! And what a fun way to show off my little newborn!
 
Favorite Layouts
These pictures were taken when my baby turned one! This was the first LO I ever did playing "Grand Theft Layout!" It shows off really well what I like on LO's. My favorite technique is to have a ribbon or something else intertwined with other objects. I also love a lot of embellishments and white space (and of course I love that it shows off my beautiful little girls)!!
 
I just love this page! Not just because it reminds me of the wonderful get away to the Bahamas we did for our anniversary this year. I enjoyed taking several different kits and putting them together to my liking!

My oldest is four and our personalities clash a lot. One week was particularly bad so I thought I would scrap a page showing how much I love her even though we have hard times. I just love how it turned out!
 
Layout Using Stolen Moments Products
My baby decided to stand up on her own for the very first time the day she turned 13 months! I was so thankful that my hubby and I both saw her hit this milestone. One thing I really love about this LO, is how perfectly the kit matches the photos..and I didn't have to re-color anything!
 
 Amazing stuff huh?!  Thanks so much for sharing with us Kim!  Check out more of Kim's layouts at her GALLERY!

1 comment:

Tiff Keetch said...

Well.. first let me say, I'm flattered. I'm glad I could steer her in the right direction - her pages are fabulous!

And second.. I'm still floored when I see that first layout of hers. She's a natural!